Architecture and miscellany
Built with Indexhibit
“Typology is the very embodiment of conceptual thinking: it isolates
similarities (categories) from the flux of reality in order to make purified
clusters of these similarities suitable for manipulation (insertion back
Peter Carl, Type, Field, Culture, Praxis, p.2
A typological understanding of architecture can be pursued through the
study of function, history or morphology. It is the latter with which this
project is concerned, with an emphasis on how space is configured.
You are encouraged to address design as an imaginative, iterative and
rigorous discipline and to speculate about the form and dimension of
space and how light falls into it, distinct from context and with little
reference to function.
You are asked to make iterative studies in drawn and model form of the
following spatial types:
• Thresholds between internal and external spaces.
• Routes that navigate space both horizontally and vertically.
• The juxtaposition of rooms characterised by identical qualities
of form, dimension and/or light.
• The juxtaposition of rooms characterised by similar qualities of
form, dimension and/or light
• The juxtaposition of rooms characterised by markedly
different qualities of form, dimension and/or light.
In all cases, the spatial types should be interrogated extensively and
intensively in iterative studies at scales of between 1:100 and 1:20, while
thinking about their consequences for human occupation.